Friday, April 22, 2011

Little Toy Boat * Rachel Corrie * 1979-March 16, 2003

Little toy boat with a broken sail
Tossed by the swelling stream,
You are drifting slowly out of view
Like a silently walking dream.

I watched carelessly as you left the sand
Into the current,
Out of reach of my hand.

Behind your chipped paint
There's a man on your deck
Is he a ghost from a past shipwreck?

Did I tell you
The pleasure you gave me,
In the pond
Beneath the cottonwood tree?

Did I tell you,
Do you know?
That I didn't mean to let you go.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel Corrie was killed in the Gaza Strip in Palestine on March 16,2003, trying to prevent the demolition of the home of a Palestine family. The Rachel Corrie Foundation for Peace and Justice was established by members of Rachel's family and community to continue the kind of work that she began and hoped to accomplish. This wonderful poem was written by Rachel when she was ten years old. See the left column for more information on Rachel Corrie.

    ReplyDelete